MEANING OF FIRST AID
First aid is immediate and temporary care or assistance given to an injured person
who falls sick before the arrival of a doctor or before he is taken to the hospital.
OBJECTIVE OF FIRST AID.
1. To assist doctors with needed information.
2. To reduce or relieve pains.
3. To prevent injuries from becoming worse.
4. To arrest bleeding.
CONTENTS OF FIRST AID BOX.
1. IODINE: For arresting bleeding of fresh wound, for disinfecting a fresh wound and hastening the clothing of blood.
2. SPLINT: ( a small pieces of woodlike ruler). For immobilising a fracture and for holding a fracture before wrapping with a bandage.
3. BANDAGE: This is a narrow type that is tied around the wound.
TYPES OF BANDAGE
a. Triangular bandage.
b. Roller bandage.
c. Special bandage.
d. Crepe bandage.
USUES OF BANDAGE IN FIRST AID.
A. It is used to mobilize an injured person.
B. It is used to protect wound from infection.
C. It is used to control external bleeding.
D. It can be used to hold protective equipment on top of the wound.
4. COLD COMPRESS: It is a material that is ice water or ice pack that is applied to a bruised
bleeding area inorder to constrict the blood vessels supplying the area.
5. RAZOR BLADE: It is used for cutting bandage and plaster. It is used for sharpening
an object. It is used for shaving the wounded part that has air.
6. EMBROCATION: It is used for massaging and aching muscles. It
is used for massaging swelling muscles and sprained joints.
7. SAFETY PINS: It is used for holding bandage ends and for keeping bandage in place.
8. FORCEPS: It is used to hold cotton wool when put into iodine. To protect the finger from straining. To hold cotton wool instead of using fingers and to protect fingers from infections.
9. SMELLING SALT: It is used for reviving a fainted person.
10. GLUCOSE: It is used for instant energy release and quick recovery from exhaustion.
11. ANALGESIC (Phensic, paracetamol and panadol). They are used for the relief of pains, aches and mild feverish condition.
12. POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE: It is used to take care of snake bite before the arrival of a doctor.
13. SCISSORS: It is used for holding cotton wool, for cutting plaster and the bandage.
14. SLING: For supporting a dislocation (shoulder joint), fractured arm and suspending a sprained elbow joint.
15. GENTIAN VIOLET(G.V): For helping the skin to generate, painting an old wound and painting wound caused by fire.
16. COTTON WOOL: It is used for padding tissue, holding drugs such as iodine, covering wound, cleaning wound and soaking of wound.
17. METHLALTED SPIRIT: It is used for disinfecting a wound, hastening clothing of blood and cleaning a fresh wound.
18. PLASTER : For holding a soaked cotton wool and covering of wound.
19. HYDROGEN PEROXIDE: This is used for cleaning wound and washing sores.
20. HOT WATER BOTTLE: It is used for massaging the swollen muscles, for preparing hot beverage, mixing of drugs and hold hot water.
21. RECORD BOOK AND BIRO: For recording names, class and sex of the students.
22. ANTISEPTICS( Izal, sanitas, dettol); For killing microbes, washing wounds and sores.
Sent by: Instructor Mrs. Adeniyi Grace K.
MEANING OF FIRST AID