INTRODUCTION TO ART, DEFINITIONS, BRANCHES, IMPORTANCE, HISTORY AND ORIGIN—BY INSTRUCTOR SOBANDE TOLUWALOPE O.
Art is a very wide human activity involving some skills. It is imaginative, creative and aesthetic in nature. Giving a definition of what art means in a single sentence or statement could be very difficult. Some definitions of art are:
A) Art is a general name given to all skillful activities.
B) Art is the expression of one’s inner and outer feelings for people to see and appreciate.
C) Art is a means of self expression of inner feelings or ideas about things, people and the environment in general.
D) Art is the skill of doing something,which is not taught by nature.
E) Art is a universal language of expression.
ORIGIN OF ART
The word ‘Art’ originated from a Latin word ‘ARTI’ which means ‘ to do well’. Art activities could be traced back to the early man, who wrote and drew on cave walls, rock surfaces, wood and hides. The various techniques used in representing objects on such surfaces include: Incised drawing, scratching, engravings and painting.
IMPORTANCE OF ART: The importance of Art are as follow:
1. Art serves as universal language.
2. It serves as a means of communication.
3. It serves as a means of identification.
4. Art serves as a means of beautification/ decoration.
5. It serves as a means of personal development through understanding and appreciation of art as an integral part of every day life etc. It also cave art was basically done for magical purpose, as objects of worship and for attracting animals which are subsequently killed.
BRANCHES OF ART:
Art is divided into Visual and Non-visual.
VISUAL ART: It is divided into fine Art and Applied/Industrial Art.
Fine Art: This is sub- divided into Drawing, Architect, Sculpture and Painting.
Applied/Industrial Art: It is sub- divided into Graphics, Ceramics, Interior design, Photography, Textiles, Furniture Design and Industrial Design.
NON-VISUAL: It is divided into Performing and Literary Art.
Performing Arts: It is sub- divided into Drama, Music and Dance.
Literary Art: It is sub- divided into Literature, Poetry, Writing, Folklore and Journalism.
MEANING OF THE BRANCHES OF ART:
1. FINE ART: This is Visual Art whose products produces decorative ideas or purposes.An art style with aesthetic and emotional values with feelings. These include drawing, painting, sculpture and architecture.
2. APPLIED ART: An art style whose products serve a functional purpose such as Textiles, graphics, Ceramics, Metal work, Industrial Design and photography.
3. MUSIC: Is a composition of organised sounds that is pleasant to the ear. It is a performing arts.
4. DRAMA: Is an art form that tells stories through the speeches and actions of the characters in the story.
5. GRAPHIC ART: A Commercial or communication art in which forms, shapes and some other elements of design are arranged meaningful and orderly for visual communication. It involves greeting cards making, book covers/jackets, posters, business cards, billboards, logo designs etc.
6. DANCING: Is the art of body movement in a rhythmic form with space in response to sound of music and drumming.
7. TEXTILES; Is the art of fabric production and decoration. It also involves paper works, Tie and Dye, Batik, Screen or Block printing.
8. CERAMIC: It is the art of producing pottery wares made of clay materials and making them into a fine, finished utilitarian pieces such as tiles, jugs, cups, plates, sanitary wares, electric insulators etc. It is an applied form of art.
9. PHOTOGRAPHY: An art of creating an image with light by focusing and shooting image through the lens of a camera and turning the images into pictures by undergoing some kind of processing.
10. DRAWING: Drawing is a two dimensional art,it is the representation of objects, pictures, scenes etc by the use of lines.lt involves life/figure drawing, still life drawing, landscape and sea scape drawing, nature drawing etc.
11. PAINTING: Is the process of using paints to illustrate Visual or imagined aesthetic form of art. It is a technique to logical spreading of colour or pigments on a smooth or coarse surface such as papers, canvas, wall etc.
12. LITERATURE: It is the of writing books, drama, Poetry and fiction. It is an intellectual form of art or Non-visual art.
13. JOURNALISM: This is a Literary work of collecting, writing, editing and publishing events, stories and all forms of news in the magazines, newspapers, television or radio.
14. FOLKLORE: This is a Literary art which involves the study of tradition and customs of the people.
15. SCULPTURE: Is the art of making representations in wood, stone, cement, P.O.P etc, by carving, casting or modelling. Sculptural pieces is either in relief or sculpture in-the- round.