FORMS OF AGRICULTURE–BY INSTRUCTOR MRS.EREKATA O.J.
Farmers generally practise different forms of Agriculture. These include:
1.Crop farming: Crop farming involves the growing, caring and harvesting of crops. It involves the production of vegetables, fruits, cereals, roots and tubers, legumes, oil crops etc. They are mostly used as food for man, feed for animals and raw materials for industries.
2. Horticulture: This is a special type of crop farming in which fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants are grown. In horticulture, fruits and vegetables are cultivated for food while the ornamental plants are used to beautify our homes, compounds and the surroundings of offices and roads. Examples of ornamental plants are rose lily, royal palm, sunflower, ixora, lantana, hibiscus etc.
3. Livestock farming: This is the system of keeping or rearing different farm animals for different purposes. Animals commonly kept by farmers include cattle, poultry, goats, pigs and sheep.
4. Fishery; This refer to the production of fish and other aquatic animals.
5. Bee farming[Apiculture]- Bee farming or apiculture is the process of deliberately keeping or cultivating bees in wooden boxes or hives for different reasons. People keep bees for honey and bewax to serve as pollinators for crops.
IMPORTANCE OF BEE FARMING: The following are the importance of bee farming.
Bee are pollinators of crops.
Bees are kept for honey, bewax which are used for food, medicine or for manufacturing other products
They are used for research and education.
6. Snail farming: Snail farming is also known as snaily or heliculture is the process of farming or raising snail in cages or fenced area.
IMPORTANCE OF SNAIL FARMING. The following are the importance of snail farming.
It serves as a very rich source of pprotein.
Snail meal is very high in iron and hence it can be used for the treatment of anaemia.
It is also used for the treatment of ailments like whooping cough, ulcers, asthma, high blood pressure, poor, eye sight, piles etc.
The shell of snail contains phosphorous and calcium and can be crushed for the preparation of animal feed.