MEANING, TYPES, FUNCTIONS AND IMPORTANCE—BY INSTRUCTOR EUNICE OKOYE.
MEANING OF OFFICE EQUIPMENT: Office equipment are machines and cabinets needed to prepare and reproduce documents for future uses. It will be wrong for a principal of a school to present a hand written letters.
TYPES OF OFFICE EQUIPMENT AND THEIR USES.
1. COMPUTER: This is an office machine that accept raw data, process it and produce useful information. It is an electronic device. There are types of computer such as personal computer, mainframe Computer, Digital Computer, analogue computer, micro computer etc. The common ones in secondary schools is the personal computer.
USES OF COMPUTER.
A. It can be used to produce documents like letters, Report sheet and other documents in schools.
B. It can be used to store and record information.eg. the information concerning Students writing External Examinations is recorded on internet through computer networking.
C. Computer can be used for calculations.
D. Computer is used in bank to keep records of customers.
CARE OF COMPUTER.
A. It must not be moved from one desk to another.
B. It must be removed from the power source when it is not used.
C. The type face must be cleaned after use on a daily basis.
D. Computer must be covered when it is not in use.
2. TYPE WRITER: Typewriter is used to produce letters and documents. Some typewriter are electronically operated while some are manual.
CARE OF TYPEWRITER:
A. The roller must be cleaned daily.
B. It must be covered when not in use.
C. Backing sheet must be used to avoid striking the rollers directly.
3. PHOTOCOPY MACHINE: This is a machine used for making extra copies of documents electronically. Photocopy machine is needed after documents are typed.
USE OF PHOTOCOPY MACHINE: It is mainly used for making extra copies of already prepared documents.
4. DUPLICATING MACHINE; Duplicating machine enables the staff to produce several copies of a document. It makes use of stencil. A stencil is a specially coated sheet for making copies.
5. FILING CABINET; Filing cabinet is used to store all important Office documents. Files are arranged for easy location. It could be in alphabetical order, numeric or according to department.
6. CALCULATING MACHINE: It is used to perform the four arithmetic signs: multiplication, addition, subtraction and the division. It may be pocket or standard calculator. It helps in getting accurate figures in account Office.
7. FAX MACHINE: Fax machine is for faxing letters and documents to far places within a few seconds.
8. FRANKING MACHINE: It is used for making impression of stamp on an envelope. It must be put inside an envelope in which the machine has made impressions.
9. STAPLER/STAPLING MACHINE: The machine is used to hold several pages of documents together as one. It uses stapling pins.
10. PERFORATOR: It is often referred to as punching machine.It is used to make holes into books, files and other office documents.
11. PRINTER: Printer is used to produce hard copies of documents from computers. It is mainly for printing documents and records.
12. MAIL OPENING MACHINE: This is a mail room machine used to open letters received in an organisation. It is used in organisations that receives a lot of mails.
13. SHREDDING MACHINE: It is an office machine that tears papers or useless documents into pieces so that nobody can read what is printed on it.
14. SCALE MACHINE: This machine is used to calculate the weight of any parcels or letters in order to charge correctly. The heaviness of a parcel determines the price to be paid for it.
IMPORTANCE OF OFFICE EQUIPMENT:
A. It makes the production of Office easy and fast.
B. It helps in making the document neat and presentable.
C. It makes the storing of documents easy.
D. Within a shortest time, several copies documents can be produced. E.g. Printer and photocopy machine.
E. Errors are reduced in documents through the use of Office equipment.