THE OFFICE- MEANING, TYPES AND FUNCTIONS..BY INSTRUCTOR EUNICE OKOYE.
MEANING OF OFFICE:
An office is seen as a place where clerical activities and administrative work are carried out. It is described by the nature of work that is being done in it. In school, we have offices like Principal’s office, Counselor’s office, teacher’s staff room etc.
TYPES OF OFFICE: There are two types of office which are:
1. SMALL OFFICE: A small office is usually associated with small organisation where the clerical activities is usually small. It may be a single room with a table, a chair and a telephone. It can have up to seven workers. E.g. Principal’s office.
2. LARGE OFFICE: Large office is found in large organizations as the name implies. More clerical activities are carried out in large office than small office. Various office equipment like tables, chairs, telephone, computers and others things. A good example is the Teacher’s staff room.
FUNCTIONS OF AN OFFICE: The following functions are performed in an office.
1. RECEIVING INFORMATION: One of the functions of an office is to receive information from different sources. Teacher’s staff room may get information from the Principal’s office or the principal may get information from the ministry of education.
2. PROVIDING INFORMATION: It is the function of an office to pass out necessary information to appropriate quarters. A principal can notify parents of the Parents Teachers Forum for meeting purpose. It could be through letters, telephone or notice board.
3. RECORDING INFORMATION: Information has to recorded for future reference. It will serves as evidence of information received.
4. ARRANGING INFORMATION: Information has to be arranged for easy accessibility when the need arises.Any information that is not well arranged may lead to confusion.
5. PROCESSING INFORMATION: This function is performed when an information is sorted out and sent the necessary department for urgent attention. The information must be directed correctly.
6. STORING INFORMATION: An organisation stores information for future reference. This is stored in computer, organizer and cabinet.