DEPARTMENT IN AN ORGANISATION…BY INSTRUCTOR EUNICE OKOYE
Departments are units set up to perform specific tasks. It is named after the type of work that is being done in such department. We have the following departments.
1. ADMINISTRATIVE DEPARTMENT: It is responsible for the coordinating and directing the affairs of an organisation. Persons that can be found in administrative department in a school include: principal, secretary, typist, clerk, messenger.In big organisation, it is headed by Administrator/Administrative manager.
FUNCTIONS OF ADMINISTRATIVE DEPARTMENT:
1. It makes and carry out the policy in an organisation.
2. It organizes meetings in an organisation.
3. It is responsible for maintaining an efficient and convenient filling system for the organisation.
4. It is responsible for promoting staff welfare.
5. It prepares minutes of meeting.
6. It employs Administrative staff.
2. PURCHASING DEPARTMENT: This department is responsible for buying all materials and equipment needed for production in an organisation. It is headed by a purchasing manager.
FUNCTIONS OF PURCHASING DEPARTMENT:
a. It buys raw materials for production.
b. It buys equipment like Machine, motor van.
c. Ensuring that the best equipment and materials are purchased.
d. Checking the invoice submitted to an organisation.
e. Inspecting the raw materials purchased.
3. ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT/FINANCE DEPARTMENT: It is in charge of keeping the accounts and records of the business transactions. It is referred to as the backbone of an organisation. The head of this department is called the Chief Account.
FUNCTIONS OF ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT.
a. It keeps and updating financial records.
b. It prepares payment of salary and wages to the members of staff.
c. Settlement of all forms of bills.
d. It takes care of business cash and cheque.
e. Offering financial advice to an organisation.
f. It maintains financial records.
4. SALES DEPARTMENT: Sales department is responsible for:
a. Selling the organisation products.
b. Marketing and advertising the organisation products.
c. Making the public to buy the company’s goods persuading them.
d. Handling customers’ complaints.
e. Bringing the customers closer to the organisation.
5. PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT: This department is responsible for the general services of the staff in an organisation. The leader is referred to as Personnel Manager.
FUNCTIONS OF PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT: It performs the following functions.
a. Training of staff in an organisation.
b. Transfer of staff from one place to another.
c. Discipline of erring staff and staff appraisal.
e. Evaluation and promotion of staff.
f. Recruitment and retirement to staff.
6. PLANNING DEPARTMENT: It is responsible for planning the business activities in an organisation. It carries out research to know areas of improvement. It is headed by Planning manager.
FUNCTIONS OF PLANNING DEPARTMENT.
a. It carries out all necessary planning in organisation activities.
b. It carries out research as to which area needed to be improved.
7. TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT: This department is responsible for all activities that involves transportation.
FUNCTIONS OF TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT:
a. Buying vehicles for an organisation.
b. It maintains and repairs vehicles in an organisation.
c. It arranges for the movement of employees and products from the organisation to
8. PRODUCTIONS DEPARTMENT: It is responsible for manufacturing of goods needed in an organisation. It is headed by production manager.
FUNCTIONS OF PRODUCTION DEPARTMENT:
a. It makes sure the raw materials are used to produce the needed goods.
b. It makes sure that the best materials are used.
c. Passing needed information to other departments.
d. To make sure that goods are produced at minimum cost.
e. To see that goods produced meet the required standard.